Everyone is a fitness freak and health conscious these days. Everyone who wants to reduce weight is following diet plans, but the question comes for how long one should need to do diet to lose weight. The word diet often implies the use of specific intake of food for health or weight management reasons. Although humans are omnivores, each person and each culture holds some food preferences or some food taboos. Individual dietary choices may be more or less health. Complete nutrition requires ingestion and absorption of vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids from protein and essential fatty acids from fat-containing food, also food energy in the form of carbohydrate, protein, and fat. Dietary habits and choices play a significant role in the quality of life, health, and longevity.
Why is Diet Important to Lose Weight and How for long one need to diet?
A recent study published in the International Journal of Obesity reveals the exact duration of time one needs to diet to lose weight. The researchers from the University of Copenhagen studied that to lose weight; one needs to diet for two years. But the trouble with most diet is that they lead to a surge in the hunger-causing hormones. The researchers found that sometimes the hunger sensation can be so intense that people feel if they don’t eat, they will die. But when these hunger hormones tempt you to eat unhealthy food, it takes a toll on your weight loss plan. To help with this problem, researchers put 20 obese people on a strict low-calorie diet for eight weeks, followed by a 12-month weight management program. Participants were allowed to meet to the dietician and got tips on lifestyle changes and diet taking calendar.
Here are some low-calorie diet foods which will help you to reduce weight:
- Oats- Oats are not only low-calorie food, but they are high in protein and fiber. Eating a bowl of oatmeal increase the feeling of fullness and reduced hunger and calorie intake at the next meal.
- Greek Yogurt- It is the excellent source of protein that can help curb cravings and promote weight loss. High-protein Greek yogurt helped reduce hunger and increase feelings of fullness compared to lower-protein snacks.
- Soup: Though soup is often dismissed as little more than a light and simple side dish, it can be very satisfying. Lighter broth-or stock-based soup can minimize calories and maximize fullness.
- Berries: Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Their fiber content also boosts weight loss and reduces hunger. Raspberries also help cut calories consumption to aid weight loss.
- Chia Seeds: Chia foods are high in protein and fiber into a low number of calories. They are high in soluble fiber, a type of fiber that absorbs liquid and swells in your stomach to promote feelings of fullness.
The blood sample of the participants is collected by the researchers thrice during the entire program. The participants lost 13 percent of their body weight. The results show that blood samples taken after 12 months showed that participants were producing less hunger-causing hormone “Ghrelin” and a more hunger-suppressing hormone called “GLP-1”.
Many studies have found that if you lose a lot of weight, your body fights dreadful against it. But it was found that if a person is able to keep down his or her weight down for one year, it’s easy for you to maintain it further. Study says that dieting for one year allows a person to get used to a new lifestyle and weight, which stops his or her cravings, it also helps to reduce weight and also maintain it.